Neighbors for Life has been extensively involved in the political and legislative
process in Minnesota for the past 10 years. Currently, we are supporting the following bill at
State Legislature: (Legislative Session 2006-2007)
which mandates reporting requirements on abortions performed on minors, and an end to
tax-funding of abortion. Though this bill is not a constitutional amendment, which
is our ultimate goal, it will be a significant victory, if passed. Even if it is overturned
by a pro-abortion Minnesota Supreme Court, the ensuing public discussion of tax-funding abortion
would be very helpful to getting our constitutional amendment on the ballot.
Political Action Committee (P.A.C.) Neighbors for Life has:
- organized citizen pro-life groups across the metro area to protest tax-funding of
abortion (Fall 2005)
- educated numerous parish pro-life groups on the travesty of tax-funding of abortion in Minnesota
and organized letter writing to state legislators and religious leaders. (Spring 2006)
- brought a group of 50 citizens to meet with Representative Jeff Johnson, head of the House
Civil Law Committee, to ask for our constitutional amendment to end tax-funding of abortion. (March 15 2006)
Citizens came from several of the pro-life organizations in the Twin Cities, churches, the Minnesota
Catholic Conference, outlying suburbs and cities. Each attendee had a chance to personally
express their convictions for the protection of the unborn and Rep. Johnson replied in the
affirmative that legislative action would be taken to end tax-funding of abortion in Minnesota.
Rep. Jeff Johnson is a running for the office of Minnesota Attorney General
and Neighbors for Life PAC wholeheartedly endorses him. He is a strong pro-life advocate,
a hardworker and a highly ethical leader at the Legislature. More about Rep. Johnson later.
- Via such direct citizen lobbying, Neighbors for Life PAC has been able to influence the
agenda and direction of the Republican party in Minnesota. For the first time, since the
Minnesota Supreme Court decision "Doe v Gomez" a bill has finally been
introduced at the Legislature to stop tax-funding of abortion in Minnesota.    (Spring 2006)
How much time we
have wasted! Every year since 1996, 3000 babies were murdered using our tax dollars,
that's 30,000 babies killed, who could have been saved had the Legislature acted more quickly.
Let us hope and pray, that the good legislators of Minnesota will now come to their senses and
put an end to this atrocity.
- Also, recently at the Minnesota Republican Convention, State Senator Norm Coleman and
Governor Tim Pawlenty both spoke out against tax-funding of abortion in Minnesota. We be
lieve this is also due to our awareness-raising and organizing of citizen lobbying.
- collected 50,000 signatures statewide to stop tax-funding of abortion in Minnesota
- organized hearings in the Minnesota House (November 2000) on Doe v Gomez, the
Minnesota Supreme Court ruling which mandates abortion funding
- helped dozens of new pro-life legislators into office in the past two elections
- sponsored two bills in the Minnesota House and Senate, to put a constitutional
amendment on the ballot, which will end tax-funding of abortion
- held dinners for prominent pro-life legislators, and developed strong working
relationships with the pro-life caucuses of the Minnesota House and Senate
- developed a coalition of all Minnesota pro-life organizations to end tax-funding
- working towards House Hearings and a constitutional amendment on the 2004 ballot
We encourage you to sign onto our petition to end tax-funding of abortion in
Minnesota. Please click on the link below, to sign the petition
on-line, or print it out.
Neighbors for Life Petition
We encourage you to pass this petition around to friends and
family and send it to us. The more signatures we get
statewide, the more likely it is to stop the funding of abortion, and save thousands
of childrens' lives.